The mining potential of Turkey, which has the largest boron reserves in the world, stretches back to 7000 BC. When considering the trade of obsidian, which was first mined in the Eastern Anatolian region, with neighboring tribes during the Neolithic age, the importance of Turkish underground treasures is evident in the history of mining.
After the declaration of the Republic, mining activities started to be carried out in the country by Etibank, which was founded in accordance with Ghazi Mustafa Kemal Atatürk’s vision. This institution was first renamed Eti Holding A.Ş. following the structuring activities in 1998 and later in 2004 it was restructured as
The journey from Etibank to Eti Maden IGM:
From Etibank to Eti Maden
- In 1934, the Sulfur Enterprise was founded in Keçirborlu, Isparta as the first mining investment of the Republic of Turkey.
- In 1935, Etibank was founded upon Ghazi Mustafa Kemal Atatürk’s orders with the aim of “processing the country’s underground resources, producing the minerals, raw materials and energy that the industry needs, and carrying out all bank transactions.”
- In 1939, the Ergani Copper Enterprise and the Elâzığ-Guleman Chrome Enterprise were founded in Elâzığ.
- In 1955, these were transferred to the TDÇİ for the purposes of iron mining and iron and steel production.
- In 1957, coal mining was transferred to the TKİ. The Muğla-Üçköprü Chrome Enterprise and the Antalya Electrometallurgy Enterprise were founded.
- In 1958, the Kütahya-Emet Colemanite Enterprise was founded.
- In 1959, the Kastamonu-Küre Copper Enterprise was founded.
- In 1960, the İzmir-Halıköy Mercury Enterprise was founded.
- In 1964, the Balıkesir-Bandırma Borax Enterprise was founded.
- In 1965, the Konya-Seydişehir Aluminum Enterprise was founded.
- In 1968, the Muğla-Milas Bauxite Enterprise, the KBİ and Çinkur were founded.
- In 1970, the Eskişehir-Kırka Borax Enterprise was founded.
- In 1972, the Elâzığ-Şarkkromları Ferrochrome Enterprise, the İzmir-Cumaovası Perlite Enterprise and the Balıkesir Bandırma Sulfuric Acid Facilities were put into operation.
- In 1974, the Konya-Beyşehir Barite Enterprise and the Mardin-Mazıdağı Phosphate Enterprise were founded.
- In 1976, the Balıkesir-Bigadiç Boron Enterprise was founded.
- In 1979, the Bursa-Kestelek Colemanite Enterprise was founded.
- In 1980, the Kütahya-Gümüşköy Enterprise was founded.
- In 1982, AB Etiproducts OY was founded in Luxembourg as a marketing company targeting the northern European markets.
- In 1983, Etibank was founded as the first and largest company with foreign capital in Turkey along with its partner, Çayeli Bakır İşletmeleri A.Ş. (Çayeli Copper Enterprise Inc.), with a 45% share, in Rize upon a cabinet decree.
- In 1984, Etimine SA was founded in Luxembourg as a marketing company targeting the western European markets.
- In 1993, KBİ A.Ş., Çinkur A.Ş., and Etibank Bankacılık A.O. were disincorporated from Etibank and transferred to the Republic of Turkey Prime Ministry Privatization Administration.
- In 1994, the Ergani Copper, the Keçiborlu Sulfur, the Halıköy Mercury, and the Mazıdağı Phosphate Enterprises were closed down.
- In 1997, the first Sodium Perborate Monohydrate Facilities were put into operation in Bandırma, Balıkesir.
- In 1998, Etibank was restructured as Eti Holding A.Ş. and its subsidiaries Eti Bor A.Ş. (Eti Boron Inc.), Eti Alüminyum A.Ş. (Eti Aluminum Inc.), Eti Krom A.Ş. (Eti Chrome Inc.), Eti Bakır A.Ş. (Eti Copper Inc.), Eti Gümüş A.Ş. (Eti Silver Inc.), Eti Elektrometalurji A.Ş. (Eti Electrometallurgy Inc.), and Eti Pazarlama ve Dış Ticaret A.Ş. (Eti Marketing and Foreign Trade Inc.) were founded.
- In 2000, the second Sodium Perborate Monohydrate Facilities were put into operation in Bandırma. Our subsidiaries, Eti Bakır A.Ş., Eti Krom A.Ş, Eti Elektrometalurji A.Ş., and Eti Gümüş A.Ş. were transferred to the Privatization Administration.
- In 2001, following the decision of the High Planning Council, dated 26 April 2001 and numbered 2001/T-9, the affiliate status of Eti Pazarlama ve Dış Ticaret A.Ş. (Eti Marketing and Foreign Trade Inc.) was removed and the company was transferred to the General Directorate of Eti Holding A.Ş. (Eti Holding Inc.).
- In 2003, our shares in our affiliate company, Eti Alüminyum A.Ş. (Eti Aluminum Inc.), and our subsidiary, the Çayeli Copper Enterprise, were transferred to the Privatization Administration.
- In 2004, Eti Holding A.Ş. was restructured and renamed Eti Maden IGM. The Balıkesir Bandırma Boron and Acid Factories, the Balıkesir Bigadiç Boron, the Kütahya Emet Boron, the Eskişehir Kırka Boron, and the Bursa Kestelek Boron Enterprises were incorporated into Eti Maden. With the decision of the High Planning Council, dated 30 December 2004 and numbered 2004/T-39, the affiliate status of Eti Zeolit Kimya Sanayii ve Ticaret A.Ş. (Eti Zeolite Chemistry Industry and Trade Inc.) was removed and the company was transferred to Eti Maden IGM. The Bandırma New Sulfuric Acid Facilities were put into operation.
- In 2009, with the decision of the High Planning Council, dated 16 September 2009 and numbered 2009/T-22, which was published in the Official Gazette of 9 November 2009 and numbered 27401, the Kestelek Boron Enterprise was removed from the Eti Maden IGM main status.
- In 2010, the Bursa Kestelek and the Balıkesir Bigadiç Boron Enterprises became the chief engineer of production management within the organizational structure.
- In 2011, with the decision of the High Council for Privatization, dated 21 February 2011 and numbered 2011/14, Eti Maden IGM’s share of 28.2% in Hidrojen Peroksit Sanayi ve Ticaret A.Ş. (Hydrogen Peroxide Industry and Trade Inc.) was included in the privatization program.
- In 2013, a friendly product in terms of the environment and human health, Etimatik Boron-Based Cleaning Product, was produced.
- In 2014, with the decision of the Board of Directors, dated 26 June 2014 and numbered 578/22, the Logistic Administrations in Izmir and Istanbul were closed down. The logistics procedures regarding the exportation of products started to be carried out at the headquarters.
- In 2015, with the decision of the Board of Directors, dated 9 April 2015 and numbered 621/3, the “Beylikova Florit, Barit ve Nadir Toprak İşletmeleri İşletme Müdürlüğü” (the Beylikova Fluoride, Barite and Rare Earth Enterprise) was founded within the organization for field service.